Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Kate Ann Gonta: Introduction

Hello, my name is Kate Ann Gonta and I am a junior at Iona College.  I am a Criminal Justice Major and a Psychology Minor and in just a few short days I will be embarking on a life changing journey.  I am both excited and nervous.  I don't really know what to expect,all I know is that this is a once in a lifetime experience and I could not be more grateful.

I have always been fascinated in learning about the Holocaust.  I first learned about it in middle school and then in one of my religion classes in High School we spent a majority of the year on this topic. We were assigned to read a book by a survivor of the Holocaust, Victor Frankel, "Man's Search for Meaning".  This book was absolutely amazing and changed my way of thinking completely.  How could one man come up with an idea to cause so much hate and destruction?  I can't wrap my head around it.  Now, every chance I get to learn more, I try to take.  This is why I enrolled in this class and trip.

Even though lectures and stories are great, I want to experience first hand accounts because in my opinion that is best way to learn.  Before we even arrived in Poland, we were forunate enough to meet Stan Ronell, a Holocaust survivor who shared his story with us.  A native of Krawkow, Stan was only 5 years old when the Nazi's took over.  Listening to his story, I found Stan to be a humorous man, intelligent man who is full of life.  He left us with two important lessons, one is to be a witness to history and the second is to not be a bystander.  I will never forget these two lessons!

In just a couple of days I will be standing on the grounds where many innocent lives and stories were lost.  I am going to be a witness to history by sharing the stories of survivors and the stories of those who no longer can.  I can't wait to be emersed mentally, emotionally and physical in the culture and to no longer be a bystander.




0 comments:

Post a Comment