Monday, March 4, 2013

Jessalyn: Hello There!


Hello, my name is Jessalyn Marconi and I am junior at Iona College double majoring in Mathematics and Economics. Coming from an analytical background, I am excited to study a different subject then I'm accustomed to. 

There are multiple things I want to get out of this trip. First, I want to be where monumental historical events took place such as the Shoah to receive the full effect of the incidents that transpired. Second, I want to speak with a survivor about their experience and see the raw emotions that come from some of my heroes. And finally, I want to understand the core reasons why Hitler and the Nazis came to power and how they justified their actions.

This is all because I believe there is a significant difference between learning about events that happened in the past by reading historical textbooks and standing at the site those events occurred. Through the instances I listed above, I will engross myself deeply in a culture that most people ignore this upcoming week. 

Having Jewish roots, I've always been interested in learning about where some of my relatives came from. It is exciting to have the opportunity to study abroad in a place where my distant ancestors could have been effected. 

These next eight days will certainly be a roller coaster, but I'm looking forward to experiencing both the highs and lows of this journey. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment