Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Personal Reflection II- Ashley Scully


Friday March 15, 2013

I journeyed through the remains of Hell,
Passed a gate that read Arbeit Macht Frei.
This place is called Auschwitz,
A realm separate from the world with a broken ground,
Here lies a rupture in humanity.

All alone in the remains of Hell,
I was not in danger.
All that is left are human ashes, crumbling chambers, and a deafening silence.
Without my rosary I could not pray,
I felt a presence of absence and an absence of presence.
God was absent,
I did not feel God’s presence.
But I heard a voice echo through the birch trees,
“You must finish this journey and witness what was done,
I am not here because it is a sad place for a creator to be dwelling.”

I took a deep breath,
And walked the railroad tracks without God to guide me.
To my right, I see the blocks where they slept.
To my left, I see the remains of the gas chambers where they died.
Up above, the sky was gray.
Even the sun was absent in this place.
On the ground, I see the ashes…. the ashes of my distant relatives of faith.
My soul writhed in pain.

I journeyed through the remains of Hell,
Passed a gate that read Arbeit Macht Frei.
And I lived to tell this tale.

1 comments:

  1. Very deep poem. Lovely! "You must finish the journey...", my favorite part!
    Inspiration out of sadness is the most profound of inspirations.

    lisette :)

    ReplyDelete