Monday, March 17, 2014

Cześć! - Kara Pacewicz

First selfie in Poland!

My name is Kara Pacewicz and I am junior at Iona College. I am studying Sociology and Criminal Justice. Coming from a Polish background and an interest in the Holocaust I am excited and am enthralled to be here in Poland. There are many things I am looking to get out of this trip. Honestly, the main reason I signed up for this course was because of the opportunity to study aboard in a place I probably wont get the chance to visit again. As the weeks went on and the trip was approaching I started looking at the bigger picture. The reason why I was being brought to Poland is due to the horrific event: the Shoah, or most commonly known as the Holocaust. To think that is the reason I was brought to Poland, and to be so excited to be here, is due to the Shoah, is hard to comprehend and understand. As I am studying here I hope to gain more information and more of an understanding to what truly occurred here, along with how God let this happen, the history behind Poland, and the knowledge of where I am from.

Today was the first day, March 16th. As a group we traveled to Wadowice, we spent the morning in an exhibit based on Pope John II. There we saw Pope John’s belongings that were able to help give us a feel for the type of person he truly was. After this we attended mass at a Roman Catholic Church. Seeing the Church and how beautiful the coloring and architecture inside was, made me realize how serious religion is to this area. It made me wish that the churches around me were like this too. I was able to understand most of what was going on during the mass because of the gestures and sayings the attendees said back. Receiving communion in the old fashion way, by opening your mouth and sticking your tongue out, was a very great experience. With being Catholic, attending mass here was an experience I will always remember.

Me in front of the Church we attended mass!
After mass we drove to a Jewish cemetery, which was very interesting to see. The gravestones, and the writing on the gravestones were remarkable. Being here really made me think about the lives that were lost in the area I was living in for the next week, and that most of those lives did not have the chance to be buried.
Two gravestones at the Jewish Cemetery! 

After this interesting experience, we drove to another museum, where a guide awaited to explain the Synagogue, and the other pieces and pictures inside. It was intriguing. It was the last Synagogue standing in Auschwitz during the time of the war, we also learned that the Germans kept ammunition inside, knowing we were sitting in the place where the German kept their ammunition was a feeling indescribable. It became so real.

            Tonight, we had a lecture from Father Manford. His lecture was one of most interesting lectures I’ve heard. He was very informational and insightful. One question I have been wondering about since this class started is, why and how did God let this happen? Father Manford explained that we will be having another lecture fully based on this topic, which I am more than excited and anxious about.


            All in all my first day here was more than I hoped. It really gave a feel for the rest of the week and what more I will be seeing and experiencing. The people who work at the center along with those we met during our journey here are all so welcoming and pleasurable. I learned the translation to the word, thank you, hearing the language showed me that I really want to learn the Polish language. The only negative about day one is that it is one more day closer to a trip of a life time to end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment