Sunday, March 15, 2015

Day 2 with Pope John Paul II -Rachel Baio

Ironically, the second day of this trip was spent learning and walking the footsteps of Pope John Paul the II. Literally. We were able to have an incredible opportunity to enter his house and unravel his life from birth to death in a magnificent museum in his birth city of Wadowice. Today absolutely inspired me. First of all, it was gorgeous out, which made the gloomy cemetery of yesterday settle much easier in my mind as I watched the sun shining on the Church of John Paul II and all of the people congregating toward it.
We were able to enjoy a beautiful mass there, which of course was spoken in Polish, but it was amazing to hear the service in a different language and still pick up on prayers and responses during the mass. For example, I knew exactly when they were reciting the "Our Father." I loved going to mass because it gave religion, something that has such a negative undertone on this trip, a wholesome and worldly connection. The museum of Pope John Paul II was amazing because it really showed how some Christians really wanted to make a difference and help those who suffered during and after WWII. Since John Paul II was from Poland, the war literally hit home for him and he really put his best efforts to serve those who needed it. He is such a sensational man. I've never enjoyed a museum so much. Not only did he help those who went through the horrors of war, but he reached out to anyone who reached out to him. John Paul II took the label as "Father" literally, and treated everyone as a child of not only God's, but his. So caring and personable, he has inspired me and many others to find the good in the world and make a difference. Something that really touched me while walking through the museum was the exhibition about his attempted assassination and how he shook the hand of his assailant and forgave him mercifully. That was so powerful and it made me realize that there are some things in life we hold grudges for that are so silly. If he can forgive the person who tried to kill him I'm sure I can find it in my heart to forgive my friends when we get into arguments. I also found the end of the exhibit had an impact on me, when they had the memorial of his funeral and they showed the video of the book that was being read that day and the wind blowing the pages shut. Our tour guide told us that some people believe this was the Holy Spirit saying that the Pope's life had ended and that he is now with his family and the book can close. I thought that was beautiful.
I loved that I got to see Pope John Paul II's life and learn so much about him that I never knew, but it struck me as odd to see churches all throughout our tours of Poland and no Synagogues, except for those that are turned into museums. I know this is because the Nazi's destroyed everything, but it really saddened me to learn that no Jews reside in Oswiecim or Wadowice since the liberation. These people were torn away from their way of life, they were tortured and murdered, and those who survived couldn't even go back to their homes, whether it be because they were destroyed or that their spirits were destroyed. But I am very glad to see the respect that the Christians have for the Jewish lives that were taken here in Poland. Everyone is so happy to teach us about what happened, and they too honor those who are lost.
-Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment