Thursday, March 12, 2015

Peace Out America! Ashley Hubaykah

Greetings from Lincoln Center!
 
And so the countdown begins! Tomorrow I leave for Poland and I have yet to even pull out a single article of clothing, let alone a suitcase! I usually work well under pressure, but this shall be the ultimate test!


I mentioned that today begins the countdown. But really, the countdown began Monday at 7:30pm night at Lincoln Center. My class received the opportunity to watch a live performance of the Defiant Requiem Verdi.  I have never been to an orchestra type of performance or even to Lincoln Center so I was definitely excited and looking forward to the show. Also a lover for music, I’m always amazed by the talents of artists. They definitely blew me away. Although the performance was in Latin, I followed along the best I could. The performance still proved to be a grand performance showing me that music could be a living memorial. 

Murry Sidlin, the conductor of the Defiant Requiem spoke to our class about the story behind the performance. The Defiant Requiem was directed by Raphael Schächeter at Terezin and performed by prisoners at the camp just out of Prague. The practices held by Schächeter were a symbol of hope for the prisoners of Terezin. While the camp may have physically captured the prisoners, the Defiant Requiem reminded them that they could not capture their souls.


We sat in the third level box and down below I had a view of the violists, pianists, singers, choir, and even people on the French horn. I was amazed by the energy of Murry Sudlin and the simultaneous flow of all the instruments as one.  My favorite part of the performance was the Agnus Dei and the symbolism behind the closing of the show.


As the performance finished, performers started exiting off the stage one by one. At first, I did not know what was happening. But, than I quickly realized it symbolized how people disappeared one by one in the Holocaust. Once they all exited, one violist remained. His solo was such an incredibly powerful moment. That was when the performance came full circle and I could feel why they exited the way they did.  


The performance for me was about giving a voice to those who would never have one again; it is about affirming those people and letting them know they did and still do matter. At the end of this show, we were not only asked to hold our applause until the very end, but also to hold a moment of silence for all those victims. 
I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to have attended the Defiant Requiem. I’m also grateful that the next time I blog it will be in Poland!  


Till next time readers! It’s time I actually start packing my suitcase! See you in Poland! 

View From Our Seats!

Check Out My Ticket!





0 comments:

Post a Comment